This is a study on food in the bible, and how we should handle food and our bodies both physically and spiritually. By Mitch Kuhn and John McDowell
See a list of all the studies in this series
1Co 6:19 What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy
Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?
1Co 6:20 For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body,
and in your spirit, which are God’s.
Pro 12:27 The slothful man roasteth not that which he took in hunting: but
the substance of a diligent man is precious.
Col 3:23 And whatsoever ye do, do it heartily, as to the Lord, and not unto men;
Gen 1:28 And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and
multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over
the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing
that moveth upon the earth.
Gen 1:29 And God said, Behold, I have given you every herb bearing
seed, which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree, in the which is
the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for meat.
Gen 1:30 And to every beast of the earth, and to every fowl of the air, and
to every thing that creepeth upon the earth, wherein there is life, I have
given every green herb for meat: and it was so.
Gen 1:31 And God saw every thing that he had made, and, behold, it
was very good. And the evening and the morning were the sixth day.
Jud 1:4 For there are certain men crept in unawares, who were before of old ordained to this condemnation, ungodly men, turning the grace of our God into lasciviousness, and denying the only Lord God, and our Lord Jesus Christ.
2Co 2:17 For we are not as many, which corrupt the word of God: but
as of sincerity, but as of God, in the sight of God speak we in Christ.
Mar 8:14 Now the disciples had forgotten to take bread, neither had they in
the ship with them more than one loaf.
Mar 8:15 And he charged them, saying, Take heed, beware of the
leaven of the Pharisees, and of the leaven of Herod.
Gal 5:9 A little leaven leaveneth the whole lump.
1Co 5:6 Your glorying is not good. Know ye not that a little leaven
leaveneth the whole lump?
1Co 5:7 Purge out therefore the old leaven, that ye may be a new
lump, as ye are unleavened. For even Christ our passover is sacrificed for
1Co 5:8 Therefore let us keep the feast, not with old leaven, neither with
the leaven of malice and wickedness; but with the unleavened bread of
sincerity and truth.
Dan 1:5 And the king appointed them a daily provision of the king’s meat,
and of the wine which he drank: so nourishing them three years, that at the
end thereof they might stand before the king.
Dan 1:8 But Daniel purposed in his heart that he would not defile himself
with the portion of the king’s meat, nor with the wine which he drank:
therefore he requested of the prince of the eunuchs that he might not defile
Dan 1:15 And at the end of ten days their countenances appeared fairer
and fatter in flesh than all the children which did eat the portion of the king’s
Exo 15:26 saying, “If you will diligently listen to the voice of the LORD your
God, and do that which is right in his eyes, and give ear to his
commandments and keep all his statutes, I will put none of the diseases on
you that I put on the Egyptians, for I am the LORD, your healer.”
Isa 3:1 For, behold, the Lord, the LORD of hosts, doth take away from Jerusalem and from Judah the stay (H4937) and the staff, the whole stay of bread, and the whole stay of water,
From H8172; a support (concretely), that is, (figuratively) a protector or sustenance: – stay.
Psa 18:18 They prevented me in the day of my calamity: but the LORD was my stay.
2Sa 22:19 They prevented me in the day of my calamity: but the LORD was my stay.
Examples of leaven in Church doctrine along with a study on the Truth of God’s word:
2Th 2:11 And for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that
they should believe a lie:
2Ch 18:22 Now therefore, behold, the LORD hath put a lying spirit in
the mouth of these thy prophets, and the LORD hath spoken evil against
Joh 12:40 He hath blinded their eyes, and hardened their heart; that they
should not see with their eyes, nor understand with their heart, and be
converted, and I should heal them.
Isa 6:10 Make the heart of this people fat, and make their ears heavy, and
shut their eyes; lest they see with their eyes, and hear with their ears, and
understand with their heart, and convert, and be healed.
Hos 4:6 My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge: because
thou hast rejected knowledge, I will also reject thee, that thou shalt be
no priest to me: seeing thou hast forgotten the law of thy God, I will also
forget thy children.
Joh 8:32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you
Joh 6:35 And Jesus said unto them, I am the bread of life: he that
cometh to me shall never hunger; and he that believeth on me shall never
Joh 1:14 And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we beheld
His glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father, full of grace and
Mat 4:4 But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread
alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.
Deu 8:3 And he humbled thee, and suffered thee to hunger, and fed thee
with manna, which thou knewest not, neither did thy fathers know; that he
might make thee know that man doth not live by bread only, but by
every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of the LORD doth man
Rom 1:20 For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are
clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal
power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:
Everything we have just discussed about God causing man to corrupt the truth of the bread of life (the written word), is also true of our physical bread (food).
What we do in the physical MATTERS!
Mat 5:15 Neither do men light a candle, and put it under a bushel, but on a
candlestick; and it giveth light unto all that are in the house.
Mat 5:16 Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good
works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.
Luk 6:44 For every tree is known by his own fruit. For of thorns men do
not gather figs, nor of a bramble bush gather they grapes.
Whatever the majority of the world teaches about health is completely the opposite of the truth. The way that the majority of the world produces it’s food is the opposite of how God originally designed food to be produced and consumed.
Remember this verse from earlier:
Isa 3:1 For, behold, the Lord, the LORD of hosts, doth take away from
Jerusalem and from Judah the stay and the staff, the whole stay of bread,
and the whole stay of water
As God uses the Church to corrupt his word, so he uses our modern society to corrupt our food and teach us lies about our bodies and health. Just as we have to search out the truth of the scriptures and find the “true bread from heaven”, so must we also search out the truth of the physical food that we are going to put into our bodies.
Our bodies are given to us as a stewardship from God, as we saw earlier in this study. We are God’s temple, and he wants us to keep it clean and healthy both physically and spiritually.
1Co 6:19 What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy
Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?
1Co 6:20 For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body,
and in your spirit, which are God’s.
These verses have convinced me that we must share our knowledge of physical health with the Body of Christ so that we can prosper in our physical health as we prosper in the spirit.
1Jn 3:17 But whoso hath this world’s good, and seeth his brother have need, and shutteth up his bowels of compassion from him, how dwelleth the love of God in him?
1Jn 3:18 My little children, let us not love in word, neither in tongue; but in deed and in truth.
Deu 15:7 If there be among you a poor man of one of thy brethren within
any of thy gates in thy land which the LORD thy God giveth thee, thou shalt
not harden thine heart, nor shut thine hand from thy poor brother:
Deu 15:8 But thou shalt open thine hand wide unto him, and shalt surely lend him sufficient for his need, in that which he wanteth.
3Jn 1:2 Beloved, I wish above all things that thou mayest prosper and be in
health, even as thy soul prospereth.
We need to keep things in perspective and not have health be an idol.
1Ti 4:8 For bodily exercise profiteth little: but godliness is profitable unto
all things, having promise of’ the life that now is, and of that which is to
Pro 30:8 Remove far from me vanity and lies: give me neither poverty nor
riches; feed me with food convenient for me:
1Co 6:13 Meats for the belly, and the belly for meats: but God shall destroy
both it and them. Now the body is not for fornication, but for the Lord; and
the Lord for the body.
I know that there are many different cultures around the world with many different lies taught about food and health, so I’ll be speaking primarily about the lies propagated in America. You’ll have to do some research to see what false teachings are being promoted where you live. However, with globalization, most modern societies are producing food and doing health care much like America.
Let’s start by realizing that man is a beast and as a beast he is greedy and selfish by nature.
Ecc 3:18 I said in mine heart concerning the estate of the sons of men, that
God might manifest them, and that they might see that they themselves are
Jer 17:9 The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked:
who can know it?
(Jer 6:13 CLV) For from their least unto their greatest, Every one is gaining dishonest gain, And from prophet even unto priest, Every one is dealing falsely,
(2Pe 2:1 NKJV) But there were also false prophets among the people, even as there will be false teachers among you, who will secretly bring in destructive heresies, even denying the Lord who bought them, and bring on themselves swift destruction.
(2Pe 2:2 NKJV) And many will follow their destructive ways, because of whom the way of truth will be blasphemed.
(2Pe 2:3 NKJV) By covetousness (GREED) they will exploit you with deceptive words; for a long time their judgment has not been idle, and their destruction does not slumber.
We must be sober to the reality of the evil world that we live in.
Mat 10:16 “Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves.
Therefore be wise as serpents and harmless as doves.
We must learn to discern good from evil in both spiritual matters in the physical world we live in.
Heb 5:14 But strong meat belongeth to them that are of full age, even those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil.
With that being said: everyone in the world is a beast and out for personal gain in one way or another. Some are obviously operating on evil motives, and others hearts are harder to perceive.
1Ti 6:10 For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some
coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves
through with many sorrows.
1Ti 5:24 Some men’s sins are open beforehand, going before to judgment; and some men they follow after.
Be sober, and realize that without the Spirit of God, man is a selfish, evil beast at heart.
Here is an example:
Vaccines while on the surface appear to keep people alive, actually in the long run do drastically more harm than good. They contain toxic substances such as mercury and formaldehyde. Do some research for yourself on this topic. Here are a few resources to get you started:
Modern health care does not treat causes, it treats symptoms. Virtually everything is treated with drugs and surgery with no serious consideration given to the underlying cause of the problem. In reality the vast majority of ailments today are caused by diet, lack of exercise, and the ingestion of toxic substances. Drugs and surgery are very profitable businesses, eating good food, exercising, and avoiding toxins are not.
To be fair, modern medicine does do some very good things for us in particular cases. If you break a bone for example and need some pain medication to go through an operation, modern medicine is great. However it does not teach us how to properly maintain our bodies. There are obviously other reasons that modern medical care can be beneficial, but we should first try to take care of our bodies naturally.
This is all caused by God, just like he causes the Churches to proclaim the lies that we listed earlier. These false teachings lead us into bondage, not into freedom. The same is happening to us through modern food and medicine.
If you do some research for yourself on these topics you will find a great deal of information. Here are a few places to get started:
Now keep in mind that the sites I just listed are run my carnal men and women. Even though they see some of the truth about how corrupt our society has become, they still sell their own products and will say things that are not true Bionically. They do offer beneficial advice and products if you are sober minded and get good advice from multiple sources before making a decision. Just keep in mind that most people will try to sell you more than you need.
Virtually everything we have been taught about the Bible and health are wrong, so we have a lot of unlearning to do. So let’s get started.
Step 1: Eat Organic
We should eat food in its natural state, the way God made it.
• God designed food, so if we eat it the way he made it, our bodies have a natural ability to health themselves. Remember that people in the bible were living to be hundreds of years old before any modern medicine was invented. I think God knew what he was doing.
• Start reading labels, you’ll be shocked how man ingredients are in food that did not even exist in bible times. There are so many artificially produced, and even toxic substances put in nearly every commercially produced product on supermarket shelves. This is the “leaven” that we should strive to remove from our diets.
Here are just a few to research:
• High fructose corn syrup
• Sodium nitrite
• BHA and BHT
• Propyl gallate
• Monosodium glutamate
• Trans fats
• Food colorings
• Potassium bromate
• All food is naturally organic until man messes with it. We need to try and find foods that are as natural as possible. Most modern farms spray harmful chemicals on the crops to keep bugs away. These poisons are absorbed by the plants and become a part of the food that we eat. Many plants are also genetically modified to cause them to be more profitable, to the detriment of our health.
• Most modern farms give their animals hormones to make them grow bigger faster, as well as antibiotics to keep them from dying due to poor living conditions and mal-nutrition. Most animals are feed heavy grain based diets, as opposed to grazing on grass as God intended. Chickens, pigs, and cows will all naturally graze for their food if given the opportunity. Instead they are packed into very close quarters, fed cheap food that fattens them up quickly, so they can be killed and sold sooner. The results is very poor quality and often poisonous meat products.
• We will cover how to source good organic food later in this study.
Slowly remove processed, non-organic food from your diet and replace it with organically grown food from sources you know and trust. If this is not possible for you, then just do the best you can, God will provide what you need.
Remember that just like coming into the Truth, this is a process that will take time. No one is saved in one day, and no one will eat perfectly in one day. This will be a slow process for the rest of your life.
Exo 23:29 I will not drive them out from before thee in one year; lest
the land become desolate, and the beast of the field multiply against thee.
Exo 23:30 By little and little I will drive them out from before thee, until thou be increased, and inherit the land.
1Co 15:31 I protest by your rejoicing which I have in Christ Jesus our Lord,
I die daily.
This is going to be a challenge spiritually because just as we are a slave to false doctrine, so are we a slave and addicted to many of the things that we eat. It will take a work of God in our lives to give us the self control to eat what is good for us, both in the spiritual and physical sense. We will fall seven times on our way to perfection.
Pro 24:16 For a just man falleth seven times, and riseth up again: but the
wicked shall fall into mischief.
This is going to take time, and God will have to give us patience.
Luk 21:19 In your patience possess ye your souls.
How to source food:
- Buy from local farms whenever possible
- Questions to ask:
- How do you keep bugs off of your of our plants?
- What do you use for fertilizer?
- What kind of seeds do you use?
- What is our water source?
- Check the breed of animals.
- What do you feed your animals?
- What supplements do you give your animals?
- Do your neighbors farm organically?
- Do you pasteurize/homogenize your milk products ?
If you can’t find a farm, buy organic from a store
Certain products can be ordered such as nuts and ghee butter. Ghee butter is butter that has been clarified to remove the casein, which is what most people have a hard time digesting.
If you can’t find or afford organic- eat natural unprocessed foods and avoid meat.
Step 2: Research your health conditions
You need to understand your health conditions, and determine the root cause. Be suspicious of everything your doctor tells you and look for alternative treatments. Medication and surgery are not always bad, and sometimes are a God send, but they should not be viewed as our first choice. Let the body heal itself the way God designed it to.
Society has lied to you
Many lies have been told, like Hell, to scare people into doing things the would not otherwise do.
Here are the top two selling drugs in America. I’ll tell you what they’re for and the lie that support the sale of these products.
1. Lipitor– This drug is used to lower Cholesterol. Cholesterol DOES NOT cause heart disease or heart attacks. Therefore all the advice about eating a low fat diet being healthy is a lie. Organic animal fats in their natural unaltered state are incredibly nourishing and healing to the body. Beef, chicken , pork, butter, raw whole milk, and eggs can be staples in a very healthy diet. In fact, LOWERING cholesterol is a significant factor in causing Alzheimer’s disease. Here are a few resources to study:
2. Nexium -This drug is used to reduce acid in the stomach to treat gastro esophageal reflux disease (GERD. The truth is that GERD is actually a LACK of stomach acid, not too much stomach acid. Stomach acid is essential to proper digestion, so suppressing stomach acid does not help the problem, but actually makes is worse over time. This is a great example of treating a symptom and providing temporary relief, but causing more harm to the patient in the long run. See the article below.
I’ll also mention #5 on the list Abilify. This drug is used to treat schizophrenia, depression, manic-depression and other mental disorders.
• These mental issues are typically caused by a combination of lies that we believe relating to spiritual matters, combined with serious digestive issues.
• Dr. Natasha Campbell-McBride wrote a tremendous book on this topic called the GAPS diet, (Gut and Psychology Syndrome) see Gaps Diet She explains that a damaged digestive and immune systems causes the body to function improperly, causing many different types of mental disorders. These issues can be cured or significantly improved through diet modification.
We could keep going down the list and discuss dozens of different ailments and see how virtually all of them, even CANCER, can be cured or alleviated in many cases through diet and natural supplements.
- Watch the movie- “The Beautiful Truth” and “The Gerson Miracle”
- Watch “The Beautiful Truth” on You Tube
- Step 3: Eat probiotic rich foods often
Your immune system and digestion have been compromised
• A huge part of your immune system and digestion are related to healthy bacteria that resides in your intestines. There are two major factors that have caused a major imbalance in our gut flora. First of all we take antibiotics far too often, which kills ALL bacteria, not just the bad kinds, and secondly we do not eat very much food that contains probiotics.• In the past many foods were stored long term by fermenting them, causing the growth of beneficial bacteria which was then eaten to our benefit. Now with modern refrigeration and pasteurization of all dairy products, we get very little beneficial bacteria in our food.• The best source of probiotics is naturally fermented foods such as sauerkraut, yoghurt, keifer, and kombucha tea. There are many other ways to ferment foods.
• If you cannot find or tolerate these foods, then you can take a probiotic supplement, but that should always be a second choice.
• You will be amazed at how your digestion and immune system improves. Introduce these foods gradually, as you may have some negative symptoms as the good bacteria increases and the bad decreases.
• Avoiding processed sugar will help the process as well.
We live in a toxic world
There are toxins everywhere we look. From pollution in the air to fluoride in our water and mercury fillings in our mouth. Everyone has a different sensitivity to different things in our environment, so do your best to avoid known toxins that bother you. Here is a list of the big ones.
- Fluoride– this is added to our water supplies and tooth paste. When ingested this is not good for our bodies. You can buy fluoride free tooth paste and get water filters to remove fluoride from your drinking water.
- Mercury– Most dental fillings have mercury in them which is a highly toxic substance. If you have health issues you may want to consider having these removed.
Watch “The Beautiful Truth” on You Tube
- Microwaves– While technically not a toxin, it destroys the nutrition in our food and should be avoided if at all possible.
- Non stick cookware– the “non stick” substances that coat these pans will come off over time and get into your food. It would be best to avoid these.
- Cleaners– pay attention to the things you use to clean your dishes and house. Anything you breath or eat can affect you.
- Pesticides– Try to avoid using pesticides in your home if at all possible. These poisonous fumes are not good to breath.Please remember that God is in control and not to worry about all the things I’m writing to you here. God will give you the means and motivation to make these changes as he sees fit.
(Mat 6:25 KJV) Therefore I say unto you, Take no thought (anxious thought) for your life, what ye shall eat, or what ye shall drink; nor yet for your body, what ye shall put on. Is not the life more than meat, and the body than raiment?
Being diligent is different from worry. If you’re getting anxious, then go meditate on the word of God and forget about food and this evil world for a while.
Faith without WORKS is dead
Our knowledge of the truth and faith in God must result in good works in order for us to be saved. In the same way our knowledge of health must result in us taking action, which is ultimately caused by God. We also have to exercise bodily, as we exercise our spirit by DOING the works of God.
Joh 14:15 If ye love me, keep my commandments.
The body was designed to do things, it was designed to exercise. When God first created people we had to work a good part of the day to just gather and prepare our food. This was the case for most people up until the last 100 years or so. Most people worked for a living physically. Now many of us can go an entire day with just walking a few steps to our car, and then a few steps to the office and back. This sever lack of exercise drastically impacts our health.
To show just how important exercise for the body is, consider the lymphatic system. This is the ” garbage man” of your body. It pumps lymph all over you body to clean the body from excess fluid, debree, and other harmful things. The system does not have a pump like the heart, but rather relies on body movement to pump properly. The largest pump is behind our lungs, so as we breath heavily during exercise the lymphatic system is circulating strongly. If we just sit in a chair all day, then we are not moving the lymph effectively. This results in a ineffective system to remove harmful things in our body.
Step 4: Exercise
• This is not for the purpose of vanity, but rather general overall health. We are just taking care of the temple God gave us.
• Depending on physical condition and ailments, everyone has a different type of exercise that works for them. In any case there are three important areas.
- Cardiovascular training– Running, walking, swimming, biking, or anything thing else that can elevate our heart rate for an extended period of time. This is good for our heart, purges the lymphatic system, and will give you an overall felling of well being in many cases.
- Resistance training – muscles needs to be used or they will deteriorate. This will also help with bone density. Body weight exercises are plenty and no gym is needed. Push-ups, pull ups, or other body weight exercises are good examples. There is a great deal of information online regarding this topic.
- Stretching– Muscles naturally get tight and need to be stretched to function properly. A good morning and evening whole body stretching routine will reduce pain, help you be relaxed, prevent injury, and help your joints last longer.
** It’s also a good idea to get out in the sun for 30 minutes or so each day as often as possible. This will cause your body to produce vitamim D, and also help to boost your mood. Prolonged sunlight restriction can cause health and mental issues.I hope that this brief outline gives you a good idea how to start moving towards a healthier lifestyle in the spirit and in the physical. Remember that this is going to take time, and only do what God has given you the ability. If you can’t find or afford anything I’ve described in this study then don’t worry, God will provide. My goal here was to lay out what would be optimal, knowing full well that God will not give everyone the ability to do all that we discussed.There is far more information out there so research as the Lord leads and talk to the Body of Christ for help in both spiritual and physical matters.
With Love in Christ,